Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

As I write this I am sharing some yummy veggie curry with some friends from our new favorite place, 'MahiMahi Curry.' They're the only place open in town today and they're doing delieveries ONLY! We have befriended the owners, John from Canada, and his Tongan wife, Mia. Thank goodness for them because it was a very long night/morning and my friends and I need to refuel!

Last night, I went to church with my neighbor and counterpart, Foulata Finau, and her daughter Fou Si'i (Si'i just means Jr.). Service started at 10pm and poor Fou Si'i looked so exhausted when we were walking in. She fell asleep on the pew almost immediately! She's seven.

I was suprised to see so many people there! My church is very large and on Sundays there are barely enough people to fill even one of the three columns of pews. So it was nice to see that there are more people in my congregation. I met a lot more people that I probably haven't met before because I only attend the ten am service- not the 5am nor the 3pm!

Anyway, the three of us went and while Fou Si'i slept, and Foulata listened to the sermons, I studied one of my Tongan grammar/vocabulary books that I usually bring to Church. I love it when I learn a new word and then hear it seconds later in the sermon, or read it in the hymnal! It's a small feeling of accomplishment that keeps me motivated to study my Tongan books from training. Though last night, the study books served the main purpose of helping me survive thirteen sermons! Now, it was as bad as it seems and then it was not. You see they had the thirteen people talk for each about ten minutes and inbetween each speaker, we would sign a short hymn. It really helped break up the two hours! Because, I tell you, listening to sermon after sermon until midnight in a language you don't understand is very exhausting, not to mention that it wasn't exactly my idea of a great pregame to the New Year!

But then, after the last sermon, we did something amazing which made it all worth it! The fai fe kau (minister), asked everyone to bow and pray. Some people got right to the floor, while others bent forward in their seats. Then everyone began to pray outloud- at different times; some yelling, some whispering; some crying and others just pouring out their thank yous to the Lord. Then after about a minute, someone began to sing, and while some others joined in song, the sound of individual prayer continued. I opened my eyes and gazed around the room in awe. It was the most amazing sound I had ever heard. There was so much emotion in the air that it was intoxicating and I couldn't stop smiling and staring at everyone. Then, I saw fireworks go off from the corner of my eye. Small ones. But they were being ignited right on the lawn not even fifty yards from my pew. They were beautiful and what was even more amazing, was that the Tongans continued to pray and sing, fighting the sounds of the fireworks. Of course, the fireworks were set off on purpose by the church but it was so cool that they just went off while others appeared to not even notice- except for the children who were all jumping up and down outside. It was so beautiful to observe and be apart of! I feel so lucky to experience these holidays as the Tongans celebrate them. It is so rewarding to me to actually celebrate them with another culture and another people because I never really think of what other countries are doing when the clock strikes midnight or when I wake up on Christmas morning. I mean, I have of course been curious but now I have actually experienced it! Only a few more hundred countries to go!

We left church around1230am after hugging and saying happy new year to everyone in the congregation. While I went to my friend's house to get ready for the night, my neighbors were going to a feast. haha Naturally! Why wouldn't I think that my fiftyish-year old neighbor and her seven year old daughter were going out after midnight instead of going home? And of course, there would be more feasting! Duh! :) I just love to laugh at Tongans and their ways. They're so great!

Now, while my neighbors were at their faka'afe, I went to my friend's house to hang out before we hit the town, which we didn't do until around 330am like most other Tongan youth. It was a great night and a wonderful sunrise to walk home to. That's about all I will comment upon in describing my New Year's Eve celebration post-church....

I hope you are all having a wonderful time celebrating the New Year right now! It's a new decade baby! Come and join us Tongans in it! ;)

'Ofa atu!
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment