Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sai. It has been too long! I know! I’d like to say that I have been extremely busy, and have otherwise had no time to update this blog but the truth is quite the contrary. I have been relaxing or as the Tongans say, taken a lot of time to “malolo.” Some of us PCVs like to call it “malolo-ing.” Either way, I have had no trouble embracing island time!

With that said, I have so much to catch you all up on! My procrastination has now left me overwhelmed with which experiences are most important to detail to you all!

Tau kamata. First, Vava’u can best be described in one word: MAGICAL. I knew from the second I saw the islands from the airplane window seat that I was one of the luckiest people in the world to be living on such a remarkable island as Vava’u.

To clarify, I now live on Vava’u lahi, the main and largest island within the Vava’u island group. The Vava’u islands are one of three island groups within the Kingdom of Tonga, and it’s capital, Neiafu, has most recently become my home for the next two years. Woot Woot!!

The island is different in so many ways compared to that of Ha’apai, where I spent the first two months of my service on homestay. Most obviously, Neiafu is a town and thus has a lot of luxuries like restaurants, bars, hotels, schools, multiple churches, and lots of food stores…just to name a few. In Ha’apai, I lived in a very small village and would have otherwise hitchhiked into town if I wanted to eat out at the island’s only restaurant or attempt to find a successful internet connection.

Vava’u is that much more developed for one very important reason: the Port of Refuge. Neiafu’s harbor, the Port of Refuge, is known as the most protected port in all the South Pacific. That, paired with Vava’u’s unparalled beauty, and its most beloved annual visitors- humpback whales, Neiafu is one of the most desirable sailing destinations in the world. In consequence, Neiafu is Tonga’s most popular tourist destination, and thus features a lot of luxuries- otherwise not found on other islands, in order to cater to the “palangi.”

Most palangis are yachters from New Zealand and Australia, and come during Tonga’s winter season to anchor their boats in Neiafu harbor to explore the many riches of Vava’u such as some of the best scuba diving in the Pacific (including diving amongst the wrecks right in the harbor and closely off the island shores); snorkeling with humpback whales, climbing Mount Talau and watching the sunset over Vava’u lahi and its neighboring islands; exploring caves, dancing disco at the town’s great night clubs, or just heading to Neiafu’s maketi, which is the second largest market in the entire kingdom.

Vava’u is known amongst the kingdom as being ‘Simply the Best,’ and I understand more and more each day why its people have so much pride in their island.

Vava’u lahi is also different in that it is uniquely hilly. Ha’apai was extremely flat and Tongatapu- not a whole lot of elevation. But with Vava’u, I would comfortably compare it to being like San Francisco- believe it or not! The road is constantly flowing up and down and you’ll find MANY hills incredibly steep to walk up, and almost impossible to bike. However, it has become mine and my friend Carolyn’s mission, to bike Mount Talau by the end of our service!

Now although you’ll find Vava’u distinct geographically compared to that of the other islands of Tonga, it is still true to Tonga’s culture. The family, the church, and food, are still the three most important things to any Tongan and they will celebrate their thanks to these three by feasting and attending church almost every day with their community, which is their family. The Nuclear family in Tonga, includes what we would call our extended family and neighbors, and they will do anything for one another.

Of course, as a palangi and Peace Corps volunteer, I am included in this Nuclear family. I have been warmly welcomed by so many people, and am treated with the highest of respect at all community events, and even in just walking down the street. I cannot accurately describe how warm the Tongan people are, and how hard they work to make me feel at home.

That said, I should head back home because my neighbors and I (one of my many Tongan families haha), are going to church tonight to ring in the New Year! We have service from ten until midnight- though not as bad as some of my PC peers who will have been there since eight! But don’t worry, we’ll make up for it afterwards when the whole town begins to celebrate around 2am until late morning New Year’s Day. Like I said earlier….

Vava’u is simply the best ;)

I wish you all a fun and happy New Year!

‘Ofa atu!
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment