Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

Sesele Tongans! (Silly Tongans!)
- Tongans love those ramen noodles!!! They have them in different brands here but the kids eat the spice packets in them. Right now, my little brother Leka and Ana Leka, my three-year old neighbor, are splitting a pack of spices right now. They just pour the powder in their hands and lick them clean. So gross! Haha
- Yesterday, Tonga, my friend's host sister was at the wharf smashing hermit crab shells and then eating the hermit crabs haha so great!
- I have so many lizards in my room! But I love them and they are my little pets! They also eat the bugs in my room. I try to name them but they move to fast for me to pick appropriate names for each :)
- Tongans only go swimming when it's cloudy and we went yesterday afternoon and it was great! Tongans are fearless, especially the kids! (Though I think that's true to say about kids anywhere in the world...Tongans just never grow out of it!) Anyway, they were doing crazy jumps off the pier and I thought they'd smash their heads in the coral but no- they knew the water so much better then I and I think it's amazing! They are so aware of the sea and the land.
- Heidi was stripping bark off wooden sticks last night with a knife. She uses the shavings, mixes them with water, and makes a Tongan medicinal drink. She says she is a doctor! We laughed and laughed but it's totally true. She says my stomach couldn't handle it but i'll keep it in mind for when I really am sick...
- Soap. Tongans chew these special nuts and chew down a special leaf until it's doughy in their mouths. Then they roll it and it's soap! Ta da! Haha
- Transportation. Like I said, cars are all shared and everyone gives everyone rides and helps people out getting from place to place, especially strangers and foreigners! They live to share, please, and smile and laugh, laugh laugh! I can't say that enough! Haha Anyway, kids just jump on the back of these trucks with big beds to go to school. It's such a sight to see about 20 kids standing and sitting in the back of a truck. My sister fell off one the other day but all is chill. Honestly, it's like not even mentioned or a big deal AT ALL. It's great! No problems- ever!
- Ana Leka, three year old neighbor, is a true Tongan. She is ginormous! My friend, Marie, is tiny about my sister's size and wears Ana Leka's kiekies! (Her decorative over skirt)
- Going to eva at night is when the dating goes down! It's so fun to eva at night and see them going on- the boys walking near the girls on the street. Everyone has moas. Laveni has five and she says she is in love with them all! Ooo teenage years!
- Pretty sure I may have lice....ahh! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment