Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

Malo e lelei!

I hope that everyone had a wonderful New Years! The past few days in the new decade have been quite eventful between going to church every day this week at 5am and later at 5pm to feasting every day with Tongans from my church; Kelly's house flooding, Dominica's mattress being infested by rats, Farfum's house smelling like moldy food so bad that his neighbors on the island called him while he was in town, to Robert getting hit by a car while riding his bike! (Don't worry, he's alright.) Me, everything has been fine. Of course, I have the occasional cockroach in my home that likes to surprise me, and the lizards- but I love those little guys! Things have been going rather well :)

I made apple crisp tonight for my friends and neighbor. It was the first time I used my toaster oven to bake and it didn't turn out that poorly but it sure did take a long time! When I brought a bowl of it over to my neighbor, she immediately returned the bowl with four eggs. I just love Tongan customs! Especially because I have been searching for eggs all around town and no one has had them in a week!

It's rather silly because there are chickens absolutely everywhere here, including my home where I have a few with their chicks that walk around in my yard all day. Did you know that the Peace Corps' original project here in Tonga back in the 60s was to teach Tongans to make chicken coups so that they could farm their own eggs? Some people still farm their own chickens but most, buy them from the stores in town once they've come off the boat from Tongatapu. It's pretty sad that the Tongans wait and depend on these shipments rather than use the resources that are constantly pooping right outside their front door but there dependency on outer resources is no different than ours back home is it? Or anywhere elses in the world for that matter.

I can only hope that our new Peace Corps projects this year will be more sustainable. And who knows, maybe i'll finally catch a chicken to start my own egg-farming (Lord knows I've been chasing these chickens too long around here without one catch!). I have never farmed my own eggs so if anyone has any advice, I am ready to learn! Perhaps I can get people in town to be more independent with how they get their eggs by teaching my neighbors and the kids at school. Island time is on my side!

Here's to a new year with eggs every day for breakfast!


'Ofa atu!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment