Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

So, like I said earlier, I went to Fetoko island the other day. You can see in the single island shot how small this island is. The only people who live there are my friend Jason and his sister and her husband, who live on their boat offshore. This island is indescrible. It is so magical and the energy that beats from the place is amazing! It was a perfect place for me to get away and help me to relax for a bit!

My friend Saskia and I went and camped right on the top of the island. We jammed with the guitar and the ukileli as the sunset on the beach. My guitar was so out of tune and I'm not great at tuning the thing so after a few attempts, it turned into Sas playing and me singing along, happily looking across to the sun setting below the island, 'Ofu, straight ahead, and feeling the coral in between my feet.

We later sat up at Jason's kitchen area and talked until my eyes became too heavy to stay awake. Jason lived in a tent for a few months while he was building his current home which is a traditinal Tongan fale (home) made from palm leaves and wood. I also posted a picture of that too! He has a long drop for a toilet that sits right on the cliff of the island with no cieling or walls but some palm branches he wove together to protect you on one side so no one can see you while you're doing your business. But otherwise, you're just going to the bathroom in the open, looking out to the sea. Cool, huh? haha

The shower too is the same way. It's a beauitful shower post and head that stands right on the side of the island looking out across the way to two other islands, both uninhabitated as well. It's very open and free! The whole island is like that, just so relaxed! There are hammocks to lounge in that just have the best views! I woke up one morning from my tent, only to grab my sleeping bag, move to the hammock to watch the sunrise, and then dose off to sleep again :) Such a great morning!

Then the rest of the day was filled with just sitting around playing scrabble, listening to Manu Chao, getting skunked in playing cornhole and lying on the ground talking about religion, science, philosophy....it was so great! Just what I needed! No talk of anything school related and no talking in Tongan. Just to be on a deserted island.

I ate fruit and delicious bread that I picked up from the bakery beside the wharf before we left and Jason made yummy curry the first night. He has built a small kitchen area with doors that you flip up to open so that you can see the whole island around you. The whole thing is solar powered and they have a sink, a huge store freezer, oven, and outside, a large grill that used to sit in the kitchen of a restuarant he used to own in town, Aquarium's Cafe. Great situated place that we'll definitely be going to, Mom and Dad!

Anyway, I was in my glory and found it the perfect getaway, around some of the chillest people I've met on this island! He's island is just so unique and his lifestyle so sustainable. Him, his sister and her husband are real dreamers and love to see their ideas through. They're great engineers! It's cool to be around such inspiring people and to not only see their dreams come to life on this island, but to also feel the dream yourself while you're out there.

Can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment